Roads were shut down, businesses evacuated, and people transported to hospital after a chemical spill in Kelowna.
Hazmat crews were called to Sun Valley Foods on the 2100 block of Leckie Place around 2:30PM Thursday afternoon.
Deputy Fire Chief Lou Wilde says chlorine bleach and a cleaning chemical containing citric acid combined to create a vapour.
"The two of them mixed giving off a vapour that was a respiratory irritant. Anyone who was in contact with it on their skin will create a rash or burning sensation."
Three people were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries and BC Ambulance Service District Supervisor Glenn Braithwaite says they are taking every precaution.
"We don't believe that anyone was directly exposed to this although we are aware the substances we are dealing with that the substances we are dealing with do have an after effect that can mitigate itself after the fact. We're doing all precautionary treatments right now on the patients."
About 75 - 80 workers were evacuated from Sun Valley Foods. Fire Crews were working and take reading of the building to allow the employees back in to collect their belongings.
The building is expected to be closed until sometime on Friday.